Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ever Have a Do-Over?

We all have those days when we get up late and everything just seems edgy and off all day long. You know the ones - the days when you yell at the kids, snap at your husband, and are rude to the telemarketer [although just doing her job - she's got a sucky job - sorry if that's your job] who calls and interrupts while you're trying to get dinner on the table and you only answered the non-caller-id phone because you thought it was your husband calling to say (please God) that he's almost home. On such days I often go to bed wishing for an old fashioned "do-over."

Yesterday morning Anna woke up early (for Anna) and was quite charming - UNTIL Toby graced the scene. Once Toby woke up Anna became - well I could tell it was going to be one of those days. In an effort to squelch the beasties I sent my eldest (all of 7-1/2) back to bed for a "do-over." I told her she needed to lay in her bed a little longer to see if she could adjust her attitude and start the morning over with a new and better one.

Yay Mom! It worked (this time anyway) - my brief moment of brilliance.

Grace to all of you needing a "do-over" and prayers to help you (help us all) through those days, OH those days.

I'll keep you posted!

AmyDe

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a good idea! Glad your "do-over" worked. My kids would probably say, "MOM!" (in a really drawn out and sarcastic way!)

Thanks for the advice on the ant problem. I will try out the stuff you recommended...especially kicking the ant hills. I really think that will help with the frustration anyway! :)

Bethany said...

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes I just want a do-over for my whole life... but then I realize that sometimes it's those bad things that led to the good things!! And then there's those great days that the kids just play together peacefully and you wonder why you didn't have eight or ten children!! I'm going to remember your little trick the next time one of them is grumpy! I've enjoyed getting to know you too! ;)

Grumpy said...

Wonder if that works with a certain 2 yr old.

For me though, I think, I'd like to have one of those that I never see hear or think of again!

*sigh* But I know what you mean, and that is a really cool trick.

Susan said...

My daughter is a little young to suggest a "do over"... she just turned one... but I like this and will keep it in mind. Good job, mom!