To do something in a hurry and it turns out all wrong no matter how many times you try it? WELL.... so it has become with the "birthday socks." I cast on 5 times and ripped out every one. I used bigger needles, I used smaller needles. I used more stitches, I used fewer stitches. I used a fancy cable patters, I used a standard sock pattern. Still NOTHING worked!
So, I changed yarn to good old Plymouth sockotta cotton/wool/nylon blend and am working with it - tried and true I get the correct guage and KNOW that the socks will fit when finished (which may be Christmas - this remains to be seen). I know I shouldn't have started a rush project on a new yarn - it was just so yummy and pretty that I wanted to use it. Guess we'll save the wool cable socks for Christmas - they will wear better then anyway.
On a brighter note: I GET TO GO BACK TO KNIT NIGHT THIS WEEK!! Sorry for yelling - I'm just VERY excited about it. It's been two months and I really miss going. Ahh - finally! Now I must work on the socks.
I'll keep you posted!